The mallet gag is recurring gag in the series and perhaps the most common in both the anime and manga. All of the characters, including Ranma himself, pullout a mallet-from-nowhere to surprise someone with a hit when they are angered.
The mallet is used as an attack in several video games.
- Ranma ½: Chōnai Gekitōhen: Principal Kuno's jumping strike uses the mallet.
- Ranma ½: Hard Battle: Gosunkugi can transform his small hammer into a massive mallet when performing certain attacks.
- Ranma ½: Datou, Ganso Musabetsu Kakutou-ryuu!: Happosai uses the mallet during jump attacks.
- Ranma ½: Akanekodan Teki Hihou: Mallets are an equipable weapon type.
- Ranma ½: Chougi Rambuhen: Kodachi and Akane use the mallet for a few attacks.