On the eve of Tanabata, Akane actually gets to meet Orihime and Kengyu, who have a disfuctional relationship not too dissimilar from the one between Akane and Ranma.
Relation to the Previous Episode
Cast in Order of Appearance
|Character Name||Japanese Voice||English Voice|
|Soun Tendo||Ryūsuke Ōbayashi||David Kaye|
|Kasumi Tendo||Kikuko Inoue||Willow Johnson|
|Genma Saotome (panda, human)||Kenichi Ogata||Robert O. Smith|
|Akane Tendo||Noriko Nagai||Myriam Sirois|
|Ranma Saotome (male)||Kappei Yamaguchi||Richard Cox|
|Princess Ori||Yuko Mita||Moneca Stori|
|Nabiki Tendo||Minami Takayama||Angela Costain|
|Kengyu||Takehito Koyasu||Michael Coleman|
- This episode is inspired by the story of Tanabata, which celebrates the meeting of the deities Orihime and Hikoboshi (also referred to as Kengyu)
- While the anime and manga both contain a story relating to the Tanabata festival, they are completely independent of each other in both plot and appearance.
- In English, Ori is voiced by Moneca Stori who primarily voiced Kagome Higarashi in one of Rumiko Takahashi's other series, InuYasha. This episode is quite popular among the American fandom as a result.
- After Ori samples her cooking only to find out it tastes awful, Kasumi can be seen looking at her as judgmentally as the rest of the residents; a rather bizarre but not unheard of character trait for the latter.
- In the sub, Genma and Soun make references to the Crane Princess and Jizo while discussing Ori. The dub alters them to Aladdin and Cinderella.
- In the dub, when seeing Kengyu for the first time, Ranma says "You're the guy who goes around destroying training halls!" as if he's heard or seen him before which is impossible. The sub merely has him ask Kengyu if he's a dojo destroyer.
- The sub calls Kengyu's steer Li'l Moo and is male. The dub has the literal Japanese saying Moo-chan and is a female in this version. Ironically the cow's vocal effects are provided by a female actress (Rei Sakuma, Shampoo) in the Japanese version and by a male actor (Robert O. Smith, Genma and Sasuke) in the English dub.
- When Ranma gets angry at Kengyu for learning of the true form of the Kengyu Superstar Maneuver, he uses a never-before-seen move called the "Exploding Roundhouse Kick". This is only in the dub; in the sub it was his Chestnuts Roasting Over an Open Fire Fist.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.